Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

LIVE from 30 Rock!

http://justjared.buzznet.com/headlines/2010/07/30-rock-live-episode.jpg

So What did everyone think of the LIVE 30 Rock episode last thursday??

It was definitely... interesting. Changing the style of filming from single camera to multi-camera with a studio audience changes the entire feel of the show and can do a lot to the comedy. Writing for a single camera is A LOT different than a multi-camera.
Evidence is the Tina Fey stand in for the cutaways, props to Julia Louise Dreyfus.

But was it a triumphant effort on the part of 30 Rock. Keeping true to a lot of the schticks and bringing in the best guest stars, Matt Damon, Jon Hamm, Rachael Dratch, Chris Parnell, Bill Hader... did I miss anyone? Sometimes 30 Rock goes a little TOO crazy with its guest stars. Its hard to keep up.

I have to say, the audience laughter through me WAY off within the first few minutes. So much so that when Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey were spewing jokes that I KNEW were funny, I just wasn't laughing. Bottom line, it was really hard to get into the mindset I usually have when watching these shows, its not like SNL where they are writing jokes FOR a studio audience, I think it was hard for some of the actors to get into the set of: funny joke, laughter, PAUSE for laughter, continue.

Also, did anyone else think that Jack McBrayer's Kenneth was on crack or something? He seemed to have the hardest time switching from single to multi camera.

But again, even though this live episode wasn't my favorite, I have to give them credit. They did a great job, and even switched up some jokes between Eastern and Pacific live tapings. Plus, it was a pretty good plotline and all of the guest stars were hilarious.

However, according to this lovely article, once again 30 Rock pulls out the punches for no reward. They are still having a hard time getting the ratings they deserve, being beaten out by Grey's Anatomy, The Mentalist, and... Shit My Dad Says?

OK, for the record, even though I put it on my schedule, I've only seen that show ONCE. And it was... ok? William Shatner has to do more than wearing just a fishing vest to make me laugh. Maybe it'll pull a Two and a Half Men and do nothing for me but still be like, the highest rated comedy of all time. It has potential, but not enough to beat out 30 Rock though.

So I guess we'll see what happens. I'm sure NBC won't cancel it, but its still sad that after 4 seasons its still not catching on.

C'MON PEOPLE. that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment