Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Swear I've Seen Your Face Before

A wonderful friend directed me to this delightful little meme (that's the name, right? meme? Ugh) comparing the not so subtle similarities between Friends and How I Met Your Mother. It's funny, really, how I can be so involved in both shows and not really notice something like this until someone slams the facts right in my face. Wow, they are pretty similar, aren't they?

It makes one wonder, is that okay? When you look at how closely related How I Met Your Mother is to Friends, does it ultimately demote the legacy that the former has achieved in television? There is no doubt in my mind that HIMYM completely revamped the multi-cam sitcom, once again making it marketable for the 18-24 demographic. I'm not saying that there aren't any wonderful multi-camera sitcoms out there before this particular show, but is it easy for a college student really imagine him/herself sitting down after a long day of classes, cracking open a beer, and cozying up to watch Charlie Harper and those ridiculous button down shirts? Yeah, it's super fun to watch Charlie Sheen be a womanizer on TV, but I'd personally enjoy watching Neil Patrick Harris a little bit more. Plus, HIMYM has Jason Segel, who seems to be every college boy's wet dream nowadays.

Personally, I believe it hards to many shows in today's time in television to not piggyback off the concept and/or structure of a previous show. From Parks and Recreation, to Private Practice, and Two Broke Girls, these shows have come into a voice of their own with a little help from the great shows before them. Ultimately, I don't think it hurts the legacy that any show has in television. Even though there are very similar ideas, a show is a good show due to the details in the characters and the journey they go through. Yes, Barney is ridiculously similar to Joey... but he's Barney, not Joey, and that's what makes HIMYM so special. Could you imagine Barney wanting to spend all of his time at a coffee shop? That's a negative.

Finally, we can't give HIMYM a hard time for taking a concept that is just so damn general in the first place. A group of friends who love and care of each other. C'mon, Friends, give us a break here.

Enjoy the meme! I'm sure it'll give you a laugh.

funny celebrity pictures - Friends vs How I Met Your Mother
see more Lol Celebs

No comments:

Post a Comment