Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Take the Easy Way Out























So I just finished watching my lovely guilty pleasure Cougartown when I realized that the episode entitled "Something Big" had just showcased a very similar story line to that of my other favorite guilty pleasure, Private Practice.

Essentially, husband wants baby. Wife doesn't want baby. Surprise!, girl from husband's past comes out of the darkness and exhibits said baby. Well hey, that's a nice happy solution that works for everyone! Theend.

For me, it was kind of exciting to have it happen once, on Private Practice. In my mind I thought, Oh, goodie! Charlotte and Cooper will stay together! Relationship saved! Thanks, Shonda Rhimes! But after seeing it again on Cougartown, I can't help but wonder:

Why would television take the easy way out? What happened to major points of conflict and tension between two characters? This may be an overdramatic accusation of one particular solution that two shows have portrayed, but I wonder if writers understand that this outcome just comes across as ridiculously convenient.

Yes, sometimes it's nice to see our favorite couples stick together, but with barely any repercussions? Now, Jules and Grayson will be able to stay together, and quickly mull over any future baby issues. But, what happens next?

Ultimately, I guess this is better then any on/off bullshit that can drive me crazy sometimes. But, is that craziness a good thing? The fact that a show can frustrate me is probably a good thing, so why make it easy on the viewer? Where is the challenge?

Well... at this point, maybe I'm just rambling. But check out last week's Cougartown and see whatcha think.

ENJOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment